Optimized for close-up shooting, the SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 USD Lens from Tamron is a short telephoto prime designed for full-frame Sony A-mount DSLRs. Offering a life-size maximum magnification ratio of 1:1, this lens benefits working with small and nearby subjects and employs a Floating System for maintained image quality throughout the 11.8″ to infinity focusing range. One Low Dispersion and two Extra Low Dispersion glass elements are incorporated into the optical design to minimize chromatic aberrations and color fringing for clean, consistent sharpness and clarity throughout the magnification range. BBAR and eBAND coatings have also been applied to minimize flare and ghosting for increased contrast when working in strong lighting conditions, and a rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality to benefit shallow depth of field imagery. As an update to the classic 90mm macro, this enhanced version is well-suited to the high-resolution crop of DSLRs and blends timeless appeal and functionality with current imaging performance.
Supporting the imaging attributes is a precise, macro-optimized ring-type USD autofocus motor that provides fast and well-controlled focusing performance. A dedicated USD actuator is used to refine focusing precision at close distances and also compensates for small amounts of camera shake common to working at higher magnifications. Additionally, the focus motor affords full-time manual focus control for a greater range of adjustment capabilities. A moisture-resistant physical construction enables its use in trying environments and the front element has also received a fluorine coating to guard against smudges and moisture from affecting image quality. Additionally, this lens is compatible with the optional TAP-in Console for fine-tuning focusing performance and updating the lens’ firmware.
- A short-telephoto focal length optimized for macro shooting, this 90mm lens is designed for full-frame Sony A-mount DSLRs, and is also compatible with APS-C models where it will provide a 135mm equivalent focal length.
- Bright f/2.8 maximum aperture offers a clean viewfinder image and is also beneficial for working in low-light conditions and for isolating focus.
- One LD (Low Dispersion) and two XLD (Extra Low Dispersion) glass elements are incorporated in the 14 elements, 11 groups optical design, and contribute to a marked reduction in chromatic aberrations and color fringing throughout the aperture and focusing ranges.
- Designed as a true macro lens, this optic affords a life-size 1:1 maximum magnification ratio along with an 11.8″ minimum focusing distance to suit working with close-up subjects, and a Floating System is employed for consistent image quality and sharpness throughout the focusing range.
- eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) and BBAR (Broad-Band Anti-Reflection) coatings have been applied to lens elements to reduce surface reflections and prevent lens flare and ghosting for increased contrast and color accuracy.
- Ring-type USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) motor and an optimized USD actuator are employed for fast, precise, and quiet autofocus performance that benefits both stills and video recording. This motor also enables full-time manual focus control without having to shift into a dedicated MF mode.
- An internal focusing mechanism is also used to maintain the overall lens length during use, along with a comfortable working distance of approximately 5.5″.
- A Focus Limiter Switch is used to constrain the lens’ focusing range for faster performance. A choice of 1.6′-infinity, 11.8″-1.6′, and 11.8″-infinity ranges are available.
- Moisture-resistant construction incorporates seals around the lens mount and other areas to benefit working in inclement conditions. Additionally, a fluorine coating has been applied to the front lens element to repel water, fingerprints, and smudges for easier cleaning of the lens surface.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm produces a pleasing out-of-focus quality when working with shallow depth of field techniques.
- Compatible with the optional TAP-in Console for updating the lens’ firmware as well as adjusting focus settings via the TAP-in Utility software.
- SILKYPIX Developer Studio for Tamron software is included with the lens, which, aside from enabling basic raw processing and image adjustments, works to specifically correct for various aberrations, including color fringing, distortion, and peripheral light fall-off, using dedicated optical data from Tamron’s SP-series of lenses.