The moderate wide-angle perspective pairs well with the f/2 maximum aperture for selective focus control, as well as enhanced performance in low-light conditions. Furthermore, the handling details of the lens have also been enhanced for maximum feedback and precision, including a long 180° focus through, clearly engraved scale markings, and a robust, all-metal construction with weather-resistant lens mount gasket. Additionally, the lens is fitted with an electronic interface that conveys all EXIF data to the camera and can also be configured to automatically activate camera-based focusing aids during use.
- Prime wide-angle lens is designed specifically for full-frame E-mount mirrorless digital cameras. However, this lens can also be used with APS-C sized E-mount cameras, where it will provide a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 52.5mm.
- Fast f/2 maximum aperture benefits working in difficult lighting conditions and also enables greater control over focus placement for shallow depth of field and selective focus applications.
- One element made from anomalous partial dispersion glass helps to suppress chromatic aberrations for greater clarity and color accuracy around subject edges throughout the aperture range.
- Based on the Biogon optical concept, the lens features nine elements in six groups that are arranged in a nearly symmetrical design. This helps to reduce the physical size of the lens as well as minimize distortion and maintain field flatness.
- Zeiss T* anti-reflective coatings have been applied to each lens surface to help minimize reflections in order to provide greater image clarity, contrast and color fidelity.
- Manual focus design is accentuated by a knurled metal focusing ring, 180° focus ring rotational angle, and engraved depth of field and distance scale markings.
- The manual aperture ring has 1/2-stop clicks throughout the f/2 to f/22 aperture range. Using the included De-Click Tool, this ring can be mechanically ‘de-clicked’ for smooth, silent rotation throughout the aperture range; making it ideal for video applications.
- The lens mount is fitted with an electronic interface that conveys all lens EXIF data to the camera and can also be configured to automatically activate the camera’s focusing magnification function when turning the focus ring.
- An all-metal lens barrel is fitted with a weather-resistant gasket at the lens mount to protect against moisture and dust from reaching the image sensor or rear lens element.